Friday, August 28, 2009
Thursday, August 27, 2009
Wednesday, August 26, 2009
One reason that the word fuck is so hard to trace etymologically is that it was used far more extensively in common speech than in easily traceable written forms. There are several urban-legend false etymologies postulating an acronymic origin for the word. None of these acronyms were ever heard before the 1960s, according to the authoritative lexicographical work The F-Word, and thus are backronyms. In any event, the word fuck has been in use far too long for some of these supposed origins to be possible. Some of these urban legends are that the wordfuck came from Irish law. If a couple were caught committing adultery, they would be punished "For Unlawful Carnal Knowledge In the Nude", with "FUCKIN" written on the stocks above them to denote the crime. Another theory is that of a royal permission. During the Black Death in the Middle Ages, towns were trying to control populations and their interactions. Since uncontaminated resources were scarce, many towns required permission to have children. Hence, the legend goes, that couples that were having children were required to first obtain royal permission (usually from a local magistrate or lord) and then place a sign somewhere visible from the road in their home that said "Fornicating Under Consent of King", which was later shortened to "FUCK". This story is hard to document but has persisted in oral and literary traditions for many years; however, it has been demonstrated to be an urban legend.
- That it came from any of:
- "Fornication Under the Christian King"
- "Fornication Under the Command of the King"
- "Fornication Under Carnal/Cardinal Knowledge"
- "False Use of Carnal Knowledge"
- "Felonious Use of Carnal Knowledge"
- "Felonious Unlawful Carnal Knowledge"
- "Full-On Unlawful Carnal Knowledge"
- "For Unlawful Carnal Knowledge"
- "Found Under Carnal Knowledge"
- "Found Unlawful Carnal Knowledge"
- "Forced Unlawful Carnal Knowledge" (referring to the crime of rape)
Tuesday, August 25, 2009
- Smooth function, Continuous function, Upper and lower bounds, Axiom, Well-defined, Function (mathematics), Proposition, Binary relation, Classification of finite simple groups, Tensor, Image (mathematics), Map (mathematics), Complexification, Stable (mathematics), Connection (mathematics), Mirror (mathematics), Mathematical proof, Associativity, Q.E.D., Fraction (mathematics), Separable space, Operator, Functor, Limit (mathematics), Identity (mathematics), Kernel (mathematics), Wedge, Rank (mathematics), Bijection, injection and surjection
Monday, August 24, 2009
Friday, August 21, 2009
Thursday, August 20, 2009
Wednesday, August 19, 2009
Tuesday, August 18, 2009
Saturday, August 15, 2009
Friday, August 14, 2009
wiki Willard Wigan, MBE (born 1957) is a sculptor from Birmingham, England, who makes minute work, where a figure can be as small as 0.005 mm (0.0002in) tall. In July 2007 he was awarded an MBE for services to art. Willard Wigan is the creator of the world's smallest sculptures, often taking months to complete one, working between heartbeats to avoid hand tremors "You have to control the whole nervous system, you have to work between the heartbeat - the pulse of your finger can destroy the work." Wigan uses a tiny surgical blade to carve microscopic figures out of gold, and fragments of grains of sand which are then mounted on pinheads. To paint his creations, he uses a hair plucked from a dead fly (the fly has to have died from natural causes, as he refuses to kill them for the sake of his art, preferring to decorate a glass sheet instead).Willard Wigan's TED Talk Some more images at Snopes and his own gallery (second tab)
Thursday, August 13, 2009
Marvin Heemeyer of Granby, Colorado was a profoundly frustrated muffler repair man. In the late 1990s–after years of protests, petitions, and town meetings–it became obvious to the 52-year-old that he was entwined in a gross miscarriage of justice. His business was ruined by some shady zoning changes, and Heemeyer contended that mayor and city council were corrupt. Even as he was forced to give up his legal fight and sell his land, he hatched one last plan to secretly retool his muffler shop to serve a single malevolent purpose: to construct a machine that would allow him to exact his revenge upon those who had wronged him. Full Story @ DamnInteresting