Friday, February 12, 2010

Back form boarding

I'm also back, and had a great time.
Here is your obligatory dose of panoramas:
 
I had my first accident this year. I did a little jump on the side of a path,
I had to divert to avoid a collision with a skier after jumping back on the path and slightly touched the snow on the right side of the trail. I think my speed was 25-30 km/h when it felt like a stone hit my knee, hard. I fell down and feared internal damage. I happily noticed I could make most knee movements without pain. I stood up to find out what had hit my knee and found this under the snow,
The skin of my knee was completely pierced by this stiff metal wire. I had an interesting and scary look into the inner workings of my knee, through a hole with a diameter of 1 cm, on the side of me knee. I feared that it has also pierced some more important mechanical parts in my knee and needed a stitch (suture). So I hitchhiked to the local French doctor. He stitched the wound and made an x-ray,
No mechanical damage. And I could board the next day, Docteur Delporte told me in actual English. I only wasn't allowed to fall on that knee. He fixed me for 90 euro.
 
The wound after 5 days of primitive neural intelligence enhanced skin healing.
I was more carefully (and did not fall on my knees), but had no problem snowboarding :) Lucky unlucky me.

3 comments:

cybrbeast said...

Awesome pictures, and scary story. Did you bleed much? Very good that you could continue boarding though. At which day out of how many did it happen?

Did you manage to get a good GPS recording? Mine sucked, I only used it the last day because I didn't know how long it would last and wanted to use it when my skills were up. However the last day was snowy, misty and bumpy so I couldn't really get up to speed. Top speed that day was only 30 kph

pimp-a-lot bear said...

Great pictures indeed! Pity you crashed into some wire, but it's good to hear it didn't completely screw up your boarding.

annom said...

At the end of day 2 of 8 ski days. There was not much blood. Strangely, my ski pants had no damage at all and I only noticed the wound when my pants sticked to my knee.

I added some GPS tracks to the post. Speeds after my knee were lower, 20-45 km/h, than before, max 70.