Friday, April 29, 2011

New Zealand South Island in Winter

It has been over a year since I moved to New Zealand for half a year. Here is an impression of my travels through the South Island, mainly during winter, some autumn. It is paradise on Earth if you ask me. Only 1 million people, a 70x lower population density than the Netherlands. True but accessible wilderness. Alps, gold beaches, glaciers, rain forest and desert, all within a 4 hour drive or cheap flights. Relaxed and friendly people; British culture, but laid-back. 3rd in the UN development index 2010. Perfect climate. Cheap housing and land. The only major drawbacks are low internet speeds, isolated from the rest of the world and bad currency rates if you travel abroad. I may go and live there at some point in my life (not now), you should all join me ;)


Bealey Spur, 1500 m.

Start of the Kepler track.

Franz Josef glacier.

Kepler track sunset.

Forest on Stewart Island.

Kepler track Mount Luxmore.

Milford Sound.

Victory Beach, Otago Peninsula.

Orua Wairua, Marlborough Sounds.

Awaroa Hut, Abel Tasman track.

Pukaki Valley, Mount Cook.

Abel Tasman track.

3 comments:

cybrbeast said...

Stunning!
Seems like a great place to live.

pimp-a-lot bear said...

Yes, i like the photographs.
Looks like a good location for my mansion.

Blogger said...

Are you paying more than $5 per pack of cigs? I buy high quality cigs over at Duty Free Depot and I'm saving over 70% from cigs.