Monday, September 11, 2006

GigaPixel Photo impossible with normal computer

Cybrbeast asked for a GigaPixel Photo so I tried if it would be possible to create one. I went to the vleutenseweg to make photos for a 200MP attempt. I shot 80 photos and the result, after a hour of AutoStitch rendering, was a 200MP scratch image that cropped to 112MP.
Cropping a 200MP image was still possible, but my comptah didn't like it. I needed PaintShopPro to clonetool some gaps, but PSP refused to save the image so I had to lower to resolution to be able to save the edited image. The result is a 52MP panorama test image, the original is twice this size:
Panorama Rotonde Vleutenseweg 30000 x 1740, 52MegaPixel (original 112MP) - 11MB
Here are the other panoramas I stiched today:
Icici, Croatia - 40MegaPixel
Library - University Utrecht 55MegaPixel (many errors due to too much parallax)
Hotelview Hurghada, Egypt 13MegaPixel Beerschoten, Utrecht 18MegaPixel
Here is a 2.5 GigaPixel Photo made by TNO in Delft. It is the largest digital image ever made according to wikipedia (I would say Google Earth beats the shit out of TNO).

3 comments:

cybrbeast said...

You've been a busy bee.
Nice work!

annom said...

The images are not that good, it is only a proof of concept.

I know how the program works and how I should take the pictures now, so next time I'm in front of the Grand Canyon, the Pyramids or on top of the Dom, I know what to do :)

Kamiel said...

realy nice pictures.

told someone frome my project group at skool that this photo was made with a prototype of the new canon 160mp camera. maked him believe it for a day.